Wednesday, February 4, 2015

It's that time of the month...........time to update the 'ol blog.  At year end, I weighed in at 284.6 pounds and was feeling relatively ecstatic that I was able to attend a Blues game and sit in regular seating, with no issues of fitting or feeling like a pretzel when I got up.  Life was good.

Fast forward to end of January/beginning of February.  Life continues to get better.  I don't even know where to begin describing the little observations I make daily.  THE biggest and most obvious improvement in my quality of life is, by far, the increase in energy and mobility.

Shortly after Christmas, my husband bought me a fitness tracker that I'd been wanting.  After researching the Garmin Vivofit, the Fitbit and the JawBone, I ended up with the JawBone Up.  I absolutely LOVE it.  It maintains a charge for up to 14 days.  I wear it at ALL times (other than when bathing or showering).  It tracks my footsteps.  The app on my phone also allows me to log my weight, my daily meals, my drinks, and even my sleep!  Not only do I get daily tips.  But I also get a weekly report emailed to me that summarizes my average sleep, average steps per day, etc.  I love getting the summaries.  While I do not have a regular exercise routine at this point, it seems to show me that I am most active on the weekends.  Sounds right, given we stay real busy on weekends.  For the past month I've worked my full time job and spend an additional 40 hours per week at least on the trivia night planning.  I am beyond thankful that I was in shape enough to be on my feet most of the 13+ hours we worked to set up and execute the event.  I was also able to navigate the room logging over 6500 steps and squeezing my way between back to back chairs all night.  To the normal individual, you're like, "so what?".  But to someone who has (for years) avoided crowded rooms, anything physically laborious, etc.  It's a huge improvement.

I'm now down 4 jeans sizes and 2 sweatpant sizes.  I'm not really sure how many shirt or blouse sizes as I tend to still wear my roomy ones.  I used to take a 3X or 4X in a t-shirt; and I'm now in a 2XL and dropping.  It's a VERY strange feeling to think that someday I may actually be able to wear a basic XL.  In fact, I did wear an XL last Saturday; but I still prefer my shirts a little roomier yet.  The 2X thing is really nice right now as Kevin and I can share hockey jerseys, etc or take turns wearing them.  It was a strange feeling fitting back into a size 26 jeans after I can't even tell you how many years.  Now those are roomy.  It's hard to buy clothes.  Because you never know how much use you will get out of them.  I have tried selling my like new larger jeans on Craigslist and Facebook, to no avail.

It's strange when I look in the mirror from time to time.  I see some slight transformation....a slightly more narrow face, a slightly different body shape, a person I don't recall ever meeting.  I try to wrap my head around what it will be like when I actually reach my goal weight.  Will I like how I look?  What will I feel like?  So many unknowns.

I'm not one on taking selfies; so I rarely have photos to share with you.  But as I have them, I'll be certain to share.  I'm looking forward to some more family portraits in April when we celebrate my folks 50th wedding anniversary.

I was ill from Dec 24th till the present day.  I seem to have caught some crud that lingers like there is no tomorrow.  This week I finally called the doctor back for more meds.  I got another round of antibiotics and a nasal spray.  I've felt like I've been hit by a Mack truck all week; so I finally broke down and called in sick....this is the third day.  I slept most of the day.  Hoping I can power through the next two days and take it easy over the weekend.  I've got to shake this.

For Super Bowl Sunday, Kevin and I made a special trip to the store for game day munchies.  We got some frozen Schnucks appetizers, sloppy joes for lunch that day, chips, dips, etc.  But the two things I really wanted the most were dip for my carrots and stawberries and fruit dip.  NEVER in my life have I craved fruits and vegetables.  I've always loved raw carrots, broccoli and cauliflower.  But I've never been that big on fruit, much less craved it.  As I've been home sick all week, I've managed to drain a bag of carrots; and I'm down to 3 strawberry bites left.  This is going to call for another trip to the store, STAT.  I am grateful that my taste buds are changing.  But I still get a little tripped out when I go to take a bit of something I THINK I want and it doesn't even taste good.  

It wasn't that long ago that I could totally KILL a bag of chips by myself or when one cookie was nowhere near enough of a snack.  It really blows my mind.

Today I stood on the scale.  I looked down and it said 270.6.  My pre-surgery weight was 356 if you remember.  That means I've lost 85.4 pounds since the end of August.  I'm FLOORED, honestly.  I've long confided to my parents that I cannot wrap my head around the concept of losing 100 pounds much less any more.  But today I'm only 14.6 pounds away from knowing that reality.  That's about how much weight I lost over the past month.  INSANE.  I'm anxious and nervous yet excited to see what the coming months have in store for me.

Truth be known, I do not have a regular workout routine.  I work a sedentary job and remain very active with my family on the weekends.  That's all.  I try to eat right and do the right things; but I am not dieting, per se.  I just eat a whole lot less (thanks to surgery and my smaller stomach) and move more.

Every.Single.Day I wish I had done this back in 2006 versus messing with the lap band.  I can't even imagine where I would be today if I'd have known then what I know now.

We have some big plans for February.  First there's a tasting on Saturday for my parents' 50th Anniversary reception....we have to choose menu items.  Hoping I can enjoy that!!  My birthday is the 9th.......hoping I can score a sugar free birthday cake.  I'm thinking a Key Lime Mousse cake is in order....HINT HINT mom and Abbie!  ;-)

Kevin and I share February birthdays plus there's Valentine's Day.  So we have reservations for one of our favorite places for the 14th.  The Melting Pot.  I am hoping I'm able to enjoy it.  I haven't been since before surgery.  And I hope I can enjoy the dessert without getting sick from sugar.  Kevin will be thrilled to "help" me eat all that I can't.  We also get a half dozen chocolate covered strawberries.  Mmmmm  I'm looking so forward to that meal.

We also have Blues tickets for the 17th, Kevin's Birthday on the 24th, Don Williams concert on the 25th and what we hope will be another delicious dinner at Kemoll's on the 28th.

Life just keeps getting better.  For anyone considering gastric bypass surgery and lap band, I sincerely hope my story is helping you to make informed decisions.  Bypass surgery has given me a new lease on life in just 5 short months.  I can't wait to see how I'm doing in 5 more months and 5 more after that.

PLEASE feel free to share my story with any friends you have who could benefit from hearing my story.  My entire reason for blogging is to track for myself the changes and feelings; but also to share my experiences with those who face the same challenges with obesity, mobility, quality of life, etc.

I hope to have more exciting news for you in a month...........the countdown to a 100 lb loss begins, NOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment